After years of planning, the Montrose roundabout upgrade is due to commence in mid-2023.
Yarra Ranges and Maroondah Councils lobbied the State and Federal Governments for funding to update the Montrose roundabout to a signalised intersection and upgrade Canterbury Road where it passes though the Bayswater Business Precinct -a regionally significant industrial precinct in Melbourne’s East. These upgrades will ease congestion and freight impacts through the region.
By 2018 both the State and Federal Governments committed over $47 million in funding for both stages of the project.
The Department of Transport continues to work in partnership with Yarra Ranges Council and local Stakeholder Reference Groups to carefully consider all the impacts and issues associated with the delivery of the Montrose Intersection upgrade project.
Each day more than 33,000 vehicles travel along Canterbury Road through the intersection. The roundabout is no longer effective as a major intersection especially during the afternoon peak period. It has created serious traffic flow issues and potential safety concerns.
To reduce congestions several changes are set to occur.
- Replacing the Montrose roundabout with traffic lights
- Creation of both new pedestrian crossings and relocation of others to provide a better connection to the local shops
- Additional lanes both inbound and outbound
- Dedicated right turn lanes and left slip lanes for all approaches
- Saving over 60 trees with additional trees and landscaping
- A safer speed of 60kmh will be permanently introduced
For more information on the project see Montrose Intersection Upgrade : VicRoads